Book club terms and conditions
These are the Terms and Conditions relating to ShelterBox Book Club.
1. You are committing to an ongoing regular Direct Debit to ShelterBox, the disaster relief charity, on a monthly basis, once any gift voucher, if applicable, has been used. You will receive each book on a 6-weekly basis after you make your payment. Your direct debit will continue until you cancel it. You can cancel or amend your Direct Debit at any time. Please be aware this must be actioned up to 10 working days before your due payment date for ShelterBox and your bank to action this, otherwise the payment may still be processed.
2. You can change your delivery details or payment details. Simply call us on 0300 0300 500 or email us at [email protected]. Your Direct Debit will be taken on either the 1st, 8th, 15th or 22nd of every month. Direct Debits cancelled within 10 working days of the start of a Book Cycle will still receive communications for that Book Cycle.
3. A Book Cycle is defined as the six-week period between the opening of the vote for a book and the start of the vote for the next book. This six-week period will include communications on voting, mailing the winning book and other ongoing communications relevant to the Book Club.
4. By signing up to ShelterBox Book Club you are agreeing to receive information about the book club and information about ShelterBox’s work with families hit by disasters.
5. ShelterBox Book Club has been designed for you to enjoy at your leisure and engage with like-minded individuals. However, you can enjoy reading your book however you like.
6. ShelterBox Book Club can only be delivered to valid United Kingdom addresses. Please contact our supporter care team on 0300 0300 500 or email us at [email protected] to find out about Book Club in your country.
7. You agree not to reproduce, duplicate, copy, sell, resell or exploit any portion of the books, Book Club, use of the Book Club, or access to the Book Club or any contact on the website through which the Book Club is provided, without express written permission by us.
8. £5.66 of your Direct Debit will cover the cost of the books and the administration of Book Club. This part shall be collected by ShelterBox Trust on behalf of ShelterBox Trading limited who will be the service provider. The remainder of the Direct Debit will be a donation and help us provide aid to families hit by disaster. Only the donation element will be eligible for gift aid. For the most up to date cost to run and maintain Book Club, please see the main page.
9. Prices for ShelterBox Book Club are subject to change. We will give 10 days’ notice before making any changes to your Direct Debit. You may cancel your original subscription by notifying us within 10 days of the date of signup.
10. We reserve the right at any time to modify or discontinue the Book Club (or any part or content thereof).
11. We shall not be liable to you or to any third-party for any modification, price change, suspension or discontinuance of the Book Club.
12. You agree to provide current, complete and accurate account information for all Direct Debits or payments set up. You agree to promptly update your account and other information, including your email address and bank details, so that we can complete your payments and contact you as needed.
13. If, at our request, you send certain specific submissions (for example contest entries) or, without a request from us, you send creative ideas, suggestions, proposals, plans, or other materials, whether online, by email, by postal mail, or otherwise (collectively, ‘comments’), you agree that we may, at any time, without restriction, edit, copy, publish, distribute, translate and otherwise use in any medium any comments that you forward to us. We are and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any comments in confidence; (2) to pay compensation for any comments; or (3) to respond to any comments.
14. You agree that your comments will not violate any right of any third-party, including copyright, trademark, privacy, personality or other personal or proprietary right. You further agree that your comments will not contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, abusive or obscene material, or contain any computer virus or other malware that could in any way affect the operation of the Book Club or any related website. You may not use a false email address, pretend to be someone other than yourself, or otherwise mislead us or third-parties as to the origin of any comments. You are solely responsible for any comments you make and their accuracy. We take no responsibility and assume no liability for any comments posted by you or any third-party.
15. We may, but have no obligation to, monitor, edit or remove content that we determine in our sole discretion may be unlawful, offensive, threatening, libelous, defamatory, pornographic, obscene or otherwise objectionable or violates any party’s intellectual property or these terms and conditions.
16. We reserve the right, at our sole discretion, to update, change or replace any part of these Terms and Conditions by posting updates and changes to our website. It is your responsibility to check our website periodically for changes. Your continued use of or access to our website or the Book Club following the posting of any changes to these Terms and Conditions constitutes acceptance of those changes.
17. You are always in control of how you hear from us and you can change your mind at any time by calling us on 0300 0300 500. We’ll always protect your privacy and will never sell or swap your data with any third party. To find out more about how we safeguard your data, visit https://www.shelterbox.org/about/privacy.