About the Course
Thrilling, unpredictable, high-energy, exciting, fun. ShelterBox’s personal effectiveness and leadership training is like no other on the market.
For almost 20 years, the ShelterBox Learning & Development team has been recruiting, assessing, and training disaster response staff and volunteers to provide emergency in disaster zones all over the world.
The way we deliver our aid constantly evolves, but the fundamentals of building highly-effective teams from diverse groups of individuals remains constant. Our disaster response teams need to perform at a high-level in the most challenging environments.
The ShelterBox Way opens our exclusive training programmes to professionals from all backgrounds over a 2 ½ day immersive experience.
What’s more, by taking part in one of our courses, you’ll be directly helping to bring shelter to families who have been struck by disaster. Find out more below.
What to Expect
When you are robbed of certainty, you must rely on your core behavioural toolset and team effectiveness skills. We believe in the benefit of surprising situations to enhance learning opportunities. We deal with unexpected changes to plans, new dilemmas and a lack of information when deployed to a post-disaster context.
- Simulating being a ShelterBox Response Team over 3 days, responding to a fictional disaster in the “Republic of Cornwall”
- Staying in our disaster relief tents
- Receiving personal, peer-to-peer and facilitator-led feedback on your areas of strength and areas for development
- To be highly active over the course of the programme
- Engaging in a variety of “command tasks” to embed some key team effectiveness lessons
- To be out of your comfort zone where you will develop as a team member and a leader
The course combines indoor learning and outdoor activities to reflect the challenges and conditions faced by our Response Teams whilst on deployment in post-crisis situations. You will not get an exact schedule or agenda for the course; part of our process is about dealing with uncertainty and the learning opportunities that can present. Be prepared to learn and grow in unfamiliar settings!
Who would benefit from this course
We firmly believe that anyone could benefit from this course, as it is structured to highlight personal areas of strength and development, which is useful at any stage of your career. It is suitable for:
- Existing and aspiring business leaders across a range of industries in both the private and public sectors.
- Those looking to grow into a position of leadership will learn effective leadership and team-building skills, as well as show that they’re ready for more responsibilities.
- Anyone looking to develop the skills to face workplace challenges, such as having difficult conversations, leading teams, and dealing with complexity.
- Individuals seeking to build the tools and frameworks to develop effective followership in high-performing teams.
100% participants declared that they learnt something new about themselves that they can apply in their day-to-day role.
100% of the participants said the course was effective to understand their strengths and development areas in a team environment.
Benefits and Impact to you
- Improve your leadership skills through greater self-awareness.
- Gain key tools to effectively manage team dynamics that you can implement immediately.
- Learn how to make effective decisions.
- Widen your business connections in a fun and engaging environment.
Dates for 2023: 17th to the 19th April and 3rd to 6th October
Attendees: 9 – 15 individuals per session
Costs: £1250.00 + VAT per person
All proceeds support ShelterBox’s disaster relief efforts.
There are a limited number of places on the course. To secure your place
Strength Deployment Inventory (SDI) Training
An additional “bolt-on” element of this course is also available at further cost and completed a week prior to the 3-day experience, in the form of Strength Deployment Inventory (SDI) training.
SDI is a leading psychometric assessment tool, based on Relationship Awareness Theory by the
US Psychologist, Elias Porter and is used widely by a range of organisations in the private and public
sector, including Amazon, Twitter, the Veteran’s Administration and of course, ShelterBox!
Our L&D team is accredited to deliver this psychometric assessment and have seen first-hand the benefit it can bring if properly applied. Do talk to us if you’d be keen to discuss this option.